These free education sites don’t fit into another category. Some are websites are video series, How-to websites, and other have cool project ideas.
Best free general education sites on the web:
- Youtube Edu — Education themed videos.
- TED — Great speeches and presentations. The tag line is ideas worth spreading and there are many amazing videos.
- SmarterEveryDay — A great video series about learning something new every day. Really fun and inventive.
- Brain Pump — Another video series about a ton of topics from science, business, history and lots more. The videos are really well done and very interesting.
- BigThink — Videos, articles and podcasts from some of the most famous and top thinkers and doers from around the world. Their goal is to move beyond the vast amount of random information, toward real knowledge.
- WikiHow — Wiki on how to do anything. An amazing collection of almost 200,000 articles.
- How Stuff Works — Massive collection of articles and videos on how real world “stuff” works”.
- Wonder How To — How-tos, hacks, pro-tips, and insider secrets.
- Howcast — Howcast hosts casual video tutorials covering general topics on lifestyle, crafts, cooking, entertainment and more.
- Stack Exchange — Crowd sourced communities based on hundreds of topics. If Reddit merged with Answers.com
- envatotuts+ Tutorials — A large collection of tutorials.
- Instructables — Instructables is a hybrid learning site, offering free online text and video how-to instructions for mostly physical DIY (do-it-yourself) projects that cover various hands-on crafts, technology, recipes, game play accessories and more. (Costs lie in project materials only.)
- Do It Yourself — Do It Yourself (DIY) focuses on how-tos primarily for home improvement, with the occasional tips on lifestyle and crafts topics.
- Adafruit Learning System — If you’re hooked by the Maker movement and want to learn how to make Arduino-based electronic gadgets, check out the free tutorials at Adafruit Learn site — and buy the necessary electronics kits and supplies from the main site.
- Let’s Make Robots — Title is pretty self- explanatory. This free website is dedicated to Robot building ideas and training. You can even detail your own build and post in to the site.
- EROWID — An educational non-profit working to provide scientific information about psychoactives.
- Philosophy — Podcasts of top philosophers interviewed on bite-sized topics.
- Improve Your Social Skills — Free online guide from someone who overcame Asperger’s syndrome by learning social skills like a second language.
- Succeed Socially — Free online articles and guides to get past social awkwardness.
- Make Magazine — Website of the Maker Movement.
- Motivation and Self Improvement Resources
- Argument Mapping — Rationale lets you create, online, argument maps. Argument maps are a great way to increase your critical thinking ability.
- Instanerd — Great way to learn a bunch of cool facts. It delivers an almost limitless supply of interesting facts and trivia, mostly scientific. And there just went a hour of your life.
- ZidBits — Tons of really interesting articles about scientific topics. They even turned many of the articles into “the perfect bathroom reader.”