MOOCs are massively open online courses and offered online through colleges and universities. These sites are the epitome of distance education and can provide continuing education credits. Some offer degrees or certifications for free or a fee.
The best online MOOCs links:
- EDX — Extensive list of online web courses from major universities. Many can be taken for credits.
- Khan Academy — One of the best free online education sites. Short video lectures on an extensive list of subjects. The Astronomy series is amazing.
- National Programme on Tech Enhanced Learning — Massive collection of courses, mostly video lectures, sponsored by the Government of India.
- Saylor Academy — Similar to Khan Academy but more geared towards courses and reading.
- Canvas Network — Open online courses from colleges, universities and organizations worldwide.
- Udacity — Lots of free courses and nanodegree programs from Google, Georgia Tech and many more.
- Academic Earth — Filtered collection of free online university courses.
- Degreed — “The lifelong learning platform”. A MOOC that unlocks the degree and provides a way to track and measure all that you learn
- Free Video Lectures — Name says it all. 1000 courses/25000 videos/30 universities.
- Wikiversity — A Wikimedia Foundation project devoted to learning resources, learning projects, and research for use in all levels, types, and styles of education from pre-school to university, including professional training and informal learning.
- Openstax CNX — A large collection of modules birthed out of Rice University.
- University of the People — University of the People offers tuition-free online courses, with relatively small fees required only for certified degree programs (exam and processing fees).
- Education For All — University level courses, mostly developed from MIT OpenCourseWare.
- Learners TV — Video Lectures, Video Courses, Science Animations, Lecture Notes, Online Test, Lecture Presentations.
- LectureFox — Collection of University level courses and lectures.
- GCF Learn Free — GCFLearnFree.org is a project of Goodwill Community Foundation and Goodwill Industries, targeting anyone look for modern skills, offering over 1,000 lessons and 125 tutorials available online at any time, covering technology, computer software, reading, math, work and career and more.
- HippoCampus — HippoCampus combines free video collections on 13 middle school through college subjects from NROC Project, STEMbite, Khan Academy, NM State Learning Games Lab and more, with free accounts for teachers.
- FutureLearn — Large hub of free online courses
- CreativeLive — CreativeLive has an interesting approach to workshops on creative and lifestyle topics (photography, art, music, design, people skills, entrepreneurship, etc.), with live access typically offered free and on-demand access requiring purchase.
- Annenberg Learner — Geared toward providing teacher resources and professional development. A large collection of videos, lesson plans and other resources.